What’s in store for Junebug on June 12?
METUCHEN JUNEBUG ARTFEST KICKS OFF SECOND NIGHT OF FESTIVITIES ON JUNE 12TH
3D Chalk Art Masterpiece to be Unveiled
June 11, 2015: The 8th annual Metuchen Junebug ArtFest kicks off its second night of festivities on Friday evening, June 12th from 6:00 – 10:00 pm with an enticing line-up of open air art exhibits, interactive events and live performances throughout the streets downtown Metuchen.
With the help of a successful Kickstarter fundraising campaign, the ArtFest is featuring Anthony Cappetto, a renowned sidewalk chalk artist who specializes in 3D illusionary street painting and will unveil his masterpiece at 7:30 pm in front of Borough Hall.
Over the past five days, Mr. Cappetto has created a whimsical and interactive piece featuring his version of a Junebug in front of Borough Hall.
“I am looking forward sharing my work with this creative community at Friday’s unveiling,” remarked Anthony Cappetto. “The 3D art form has its historical roots in the renaissance, and I am trying to bring it forward into our era of technology and pair it with emerging technologies such as virtual reality and social media.”
The “illusion” can only be seen through a camera, smartphone or tablet lens – and visitors of all ages should be prepared to pose near the back of the Junebug, grab onto the ends of its wings and be seen flying through the air.
“I really like the fact that the Junebug committee raised funds through a Kickstarter campaign,” commented Cappetto. “I try to support all kinds of communities and have displayed my work around the world, including recent trips to South America, Dubai and India. I am trying to expose more people to the 3D art form and also share it with as many young people as possible.”
Friday, June 12th – Junebug Interactive Events:
- 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ Borough Hall – Face Painting – Come and get some “take home” art from our own face painter, Jessica Picone!
- 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ Metuchen Senior Center – Art for Inclusion– Join us in creating an “inclusive Metuchen” through art! This event will showcase artwork about disability and inclusion by various artists who are connected to the disability community. Children and families and all creative visitors are invited to make art in different mediums using our senses and abilities in new and different ways.
- 6:30 – 8:00 pm – Lollipop LandTaste Test Contest (South Main Street, opposite Forum Theatre) – Join us for an adult versus kids blind-folded lollipop taste test contest.
- 7:30 pm @ Borough Hall – 3D Chalk Art Unveiling: Have you ever thought of flying on a giant Junebug? Anthony Cappetto, an internationally traveled street artist, has devised an interactive and illusionary display that will help you do just that!
- 7:00 – 10:00 pm @ What’s the Scoop – Open Mic Night– Everyone’s chance to be a star! The gear is supplied (two mics, a PA system, a music stand), and this event only awaits you, so bring your talent and your friends, or come and support those who do!
Friday, June 12th – Junebug Live Performances:
- 5:30 – 6:45 @ Main Stage – Past Tense– Classic Rock
- 6:00 – 6:45 @ Hailey’s Harp & Pub – Framework– Acoustic Jazz
- 6:00 – 10:00 @ The Old Franklin Schoolhouse – Metuchen High School Students’ Work– Music/Video/Poetry/Writing
- 7:00 – 7:30 @ Main Stage – Black Belt Institute– Martial Arts Demonstration
- 7:00 – 7:45 @ Hailey’s Harp & Pub – Hashtag– Classic Rock
- 7:00 – 10:00 @ What’s The Scoop – Open Mic
- 7:30 – 8:15 @ Main Stage – Lowlight– Rock/Country/Indie
- 8:30 – 9:15 @ Main Stage – The King Elizabeth– Indie Rock
- Juried Window Gallery Competition– Downtown Metuchen businesses will host a series of storefront window displays showcasing the work of established artists throughout the month of June. Visitors are invited to tour the galleries and vote for “People’s Choice,” and “Best Designed Exhibit.” All voting will be done digitally via the Junebug Mobile App – or, if you are an iPhone user, via the link to the ballot (http://tinyurl.com/juneBugWindows). Two museum curators will review the exhibits and award a “Best 2-D Artist” and “Best 3-D” Artist. Voting begins opening night and continues through Thursday, June 18. Awards will be announced Friday, June 19.
- Old Franklin Schoolhouse Shed Mural – Three professional artists will paint a large mural on the shed behind the Schoolhouse throughout the month of June. The public is invited to watch them create their larger than life painting incorporating their unique styles and create their own artwork alongside them.
“Created by artists, for artists, the Junebug draws several hundred visitors to downtown Metuchen NJ and transforms our vibrant community into a month-long celebration of the arts,” stated Junebug Planning Committee chair, Melissa Schuhmann. “Our entire community comes together for this one-of-a-kind event, which grows with each passing year in the number and variety of artists and visitors from all across central New Jersey and neighboring states.”
The “Brainy Boro” – Metuchen NJ – has been a mecca for artists of every discipline for more than a century. Sponsored by the Metuchen Area Chamber of Commerce and the Metuchen Cultural Arts Commission, the Junebug ArtFest reflects the Borough’s commitment to nurturing all forms of creativity. The Junebug is just one of the ways Metuchen is working to maintain its status as the “Gateway to the Arts” in Middlesex County.
For more information:
- Visit the Junebug ArtFest web site: http://www.junebugartfest.com
- Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/junebugartfest
- Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/junebugartfest
- Visit the Metuchen Chamber of Commerce web site: http://metuchenchamberexchange.com/