Today from 9 AM to 7 PM, Bike-Walk Metuchen participates in the international PARK(ing) Day on Main Street and hey have transformed a parking space in front of Brewed Awakening on Main Street into an information ‘kiosk’/park! They invite residents to stop by, enjoy the public space, and learn more about biking and walking advocacy efforts in town. Come check it out!
PARK(ing) Day is an annual global event where citizens temporarily transform metered parking spots into PARK(ing) spots, or temporary public places. By talking about how we utilize our public spaces in our borough, the hope is that we can ultimately redefine how we use shared space so as to provide maximum benefit to our community.
Bike-Walk Metuchen seeks to promote bicycling and walking in Metuchen, and improve bicycle and pedestrian access throughout the Borough.
Join Bike-Walk Metuchen on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 from 7 to 9pm at the Old Franklin School for a community get together to share ideas about promoting a more Bike- and Walking- friendly Metuchen!
Bike-Walk Metuchen Metuchen
The mission of Bike-Walk Metuchen is to promote bicycling and walking in Metuchen, and to improve bicycle and pedestrian access throughout the Borough and to surrounding regional travel networks. We seek to encourage safe bicycling and walking within the Borough as a means to reduce automobile use, promote healthy living, and improve the quality of lives of our citizens.
Bike-Walk Metuchen Goals
- Promote biking and walking in the Borough;
- Advocate for and support the Borough in development and implementation of a comprehensive Bike/Walk Access Plan;
- Advocate for and support the Borough in development and institution of a Complete Streets policy to ensure that the design and operations of the Borough’s roadways and overall transportation network contemplates all users, including bicyclists, public transportation vehicles and riders, and pedestrians of all ages and abilities;
- Promote initiatives aimed at improved travel safety throughout the Borough, particularly in the Downtown District;
- Collaborate with Borough stakeholders in the improvement of local infrastructure and facilities to support bicycling and walking;
- Support update of Borough Codes and Master Plan to reflect bicycling and walking as preferred travel options in certain Borough travel corridors and through-ways;
- Help link destination points within Borough, and provide connections to nearby regional biking and walking networks. In particular, promote increased access to Schools; Places of Worship; Downtown; Transit; Pool; Parks; Greenway; Work and Community Centers; Library; Retail Centers.